grub-devel

EFI boot problem with MBP 5,4

From: Daire Byrne
Subject: EFI boot problem with MBP 5,4
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:15:02 +0000

Hi,

It looks like recent kernels (namely 2.6.31 and 2.6.32) can't find the
initrd when booting from grub (efi) on a macbook pro 5,4 giving the
error:

  RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.

The 2.6.30 kernel does not seem to suffer from this so something must
have changed in 2.6.31+. I also tested all three kernels on a MBP4,1
and they all boot fine from grub - they find and load the initrd. In all
cases the grub.cfg and initrd remained the same and only the kernel
was changed. This could be a kernel issue but the fact that they all
boot on a MBP4,1 makes me think it is a EFI1.1 vs EFI 2.0 thing.

As an aside I can get the nvidia module working with MBP5,4+2.6.30 but
a MBP4,1+2.6.30 can't find the vbios. Is this a known thing and is
there a possible fix for it?

Thanks,

Daire