grub-devel

Re: GRUB update problems

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: GRUB update problems
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:16:18 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:07 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
> I run Debian Lenny sid/squeeze, the updater this morning just
> "updated"
> my GRUB2 version... (not sure of the version).

normally it doestn't make sense to have stable (lenny), testing
(squeeze) and unstable (sid) in /etc/apt/sources.list
Usually you only use one of them.

> I probably need to get the display resolution in GRUB to correspond to
>
> my ACTUAL desktop resolution... I'm guessing; so, until GRUB  works
> out
> what appears to me, to be a 'bug' (?), or I can know what to do to
> remedy... perhaps there is a workaround someone can suggest?

I think you didn't set a device in the debconf prompt which asked for
one.
You need to run grub-install to update it. Else the graphical terminal
won't get anymore enabled by update-grub/grub-mkconfig.

And also check GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub, which is the
resolution for GRUB if the graphical terminal is enabled.

> & one more note, I also had a problem with GRUB (or what ever...) when
> hit the restart/shut down routine... it would sometimes only do a log
> off, & then I would have to do a restart from the log on screen,
> well...
> it's back with this recent version of GRUB.

This has nothing to do with GRUB.