grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: David Miller
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:37:14 -0800 (PST)

From: Robert Millan <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:25:51 +0100

> Then we rely only on UUIDs.

This is exactly what I suggested we should avoid.

On OpenFirmware we scan every device alias, %80 of them point to
non-existing devices.  The aliases are just an enumeration of
the set of devices that could be behind a controller, not what
has actually been detected by the firmware or anything like
that.

So every scan for a UUID can eat up an enormous amount of time,
poking devices that simply are not there.