grub-devel

Re: Grub is the bootloader used on Win7?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Grub is the bootloader used on Win7?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:37:49 -0600

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Felix Zielcke <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 25.12.2009, 19:15 -0200 schrieb Renato S.Yamane:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I´m a GNU/Linux user, but I have a computer with Windows too (fresh
>> install, with NO Linux installed)
>>
>> Recently, my RAID5 failed, sometimes I get a corrupetd system and I
>> see Windows loading GRUB!
>>
>> Anyone now if Windows7 is using Grub as default bootloader (because I
>> don´t believe that Grub is installed on my BIOS)?
>>
>> - This is the first message error:
>> http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7215/img0227s.jpg
>>
>> - When I press "Enter" I see this:
>> http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5285/img0225jm.jpg
>>
>> - And this is the commands available:
>> http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7056/img0229w.jpg
>>
>> Best regards and Merry Christimas!
>> Renato S. Yamane
>
> Official Windows 7 from Microsoft unmodified, i.e. not some preinstalled
> OEM Version does clearly not use GRUB4DOS nor plain GRUB Legacy nor GRUB
> 2.
> They still use bootmgr which they introduced with Vista, which is
> basically though the old ntldr from NT4/2000/XP just a bit modified.

SLIC is part of the mechanism Windows (many versions) uses to volume
license to OEMs and enable OEM recovery disks which only work on a
particular brand or model of computer.  The SLIC is supposed to be
included in the system BIOS by the OEM... but software pirates
sometimes patch the SLIC into the BIOS or use a hotpatch program to
load it before booting into Windows (Windows can't tell whether the
SLIC came legit from an OEM BIOS or from a user hack).  It looks like
this system is running an illegal copy of Windows, or at the very
least improperly activated.  Since Windows 7 was released only in
October, there should still be time to get a refund from the company
who sold you the fake copy of Windows, the Microsoft Anti-piracy
hotline would probably be helpful in forcing the company to provide
you with a legitimate copy.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting.mspx