grub-devel

Re: Broken common.rmk change

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Broken common.rmk change
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:15:48 +0100

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:45:16PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 10:23:51PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
> > Seth proposed a hinting technique:
> > search --fs_uuid ... -s root --hint hd0,1
> > then hd0,1 will be checked first and only on failure it will revert to
> > scanning
>
> Sounds good.

Thinking a bit more, in the vast majority of times, $root variable is initially
defined to the drive that contains the filesystem we want.  Partition might be
wrong, but then again partition numbers are persistent.

Maybe our problem can be solved by making grub-mkconfig a bit smarter, so that
UUIDs are only used when /boot partition is in a different drive that the one
we embed core.img to.

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi