grub-devel

Re: grub_error messages

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: grub_error messages
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:26:30 +0000

Hi,

On Dec/22/2009, Vladimir '??-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:19:16PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> >> b) At beginning I thought that we would not gettext error messages, but
> >> I see that lot of these messages appears to the end user. Do we gettext
> >> using N_(" ") and then where it's printed I use _(" ") ? I would say
> >> yes.
> >>

> > No! Don't use any of N_() or _() if the message isn't meant to be
> > translated.
> > If it's extracted into the pot file but then it's not used by GRUB (not
> > being marked with the necessary gettext call), it's a waste of time for
> > translators, of course.
> >

> Jordi, I think you misunderstand. What Carles propose is to do real
> gettext call in grub_error and not before calling it. We already use N_
> for this purpose.

Vladimir: you got my point.

In my mail I mixed a bit two messages:
a) Asking confirmation that we will translate that messages (that my
first thought was "not needed" but then I see that appears more than I
was thinking)

b) Implementation.

Vladimir and everybody: I think that these strings are printed by
grub_print_error (void), (kern/err.c), in this way:
        grub_err_printf ("error: %s\n", grub_errmsg);

so we should NOT capitalise the message strings (in English, after colon
is not capitalised). Plus I'm thinking to do:
        grub_err_printf ("error: %s.\n", _(grub_errmsg));

So the "." is not part of each string and we save some bytes.

What do you think?

I haven't tested what I said above...

--
Carles Pina i Estany