grub-devel

Re: Unittests

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Re: Unittests
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:22:14 +0530

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden> wrote:

> Writing a unittest for gettext it's very easy: it just needs a couple of
> .mo and a script executing gettext "string" and checking that the result
> is "string translated". Will get more interesting when ngettext will
> come too :-)

Hi Carles,

I don't have much knowledge about how gettext works, but I tried to
add unit test today (in my local branch) and I couldn't get it working
:-(  Below is what I did, with some questions:

1.  I downloaded zh_CN.po from translationproject.org and placed it in
$(srcdir)/po/ directory.
2.  I tried to build grub.pot, but build failed.

    Build rule for grub.pot assumes builddir == srcdir, which is not
true in my case.  Also, it looks like that command is trying to create
grub.po in srcdir instead of builddir; is it normal? if we need
grub.pot in srcdir, can we move this step into autogen.sh?

3. After fixing the grub.pot rule, I was able to get .mo files in
$(builddir)/po/
4. Now I wanted to see if gettext could find the translations without
doing a make install, as below in $(builddir)

    $ LANG="zh_CN" TEXTDOMAINDIR=$(pwd) gettext grub "the core image
is too small"

   It displayed only english version, even though zh_CN translation is
available :-(  Since the directory structure in /usr/share/locale is
different from $(builddir), I did "make install" and tried the gettext
command without setting TEXTDOMAINDIR, but still no success :-(

What is wrong?  Can you provide any pointers?

thanks,
--
bvk.chaitanya