grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [RFC] Dynamic device.map
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:04:43 +0000

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:49:15PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 05:25:22PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Ah, I hadn't noticed r1870, sorry. Am I right in believing that my patch
> > is obsolete, then?
>
> I'm not completely sure, but it seems so.  Sorry about that :-(

Don't apologise for doing something before I got round to it! :-)

> Anyhow, if you find more issues with systems that have no device.map, help
> is welcome fixing those of course.

I'm trying to figure out how to make Debian's grub-installer operate
without a device.map; it has various legacy bits and pieces that need
conversion, and I'm working on these.

Along the way, though, I noticed that grub-install still unconditionally
creates a device.map. This seems likely to become confusing if devices
are changing around a lot, since it's never updated. I'd like to get to
the point where it doesn't do this by default. How about we add support
for an option to disable this, and make grub-installer and the Debian
maintainer scripts pass it once they're ready? Some time later, we can
flip the default value.