grub-devel

Re: autogen.sh warnings

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: autogen.sh warnings
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:19:08 -0600

Robert Millan wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:21:28PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:38:06AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
configure.ac:176: required file `./config.rpath' not found

The can be fixed by `touch config.rpath`
configure does actually run this, so I'd recommend copying the file from
gettext or gnulib instead.

config.{guess,sub} are automatically updated.  Can't config.rpath be
handled the same way?

In any case, this warning is harmless AFAICT.

Yes, it is harmless, but removing it is just more professional. I don't have a problem with suppressing specific warnings if they have been considered and found inappropriate.

I'm pretty sure config.rpath only exists for ld.  There is is only used
when linking an ELF executable with shared objects. Since GRUB doesn't create any libraries, then it is not appropriate. An empty config.rpath is not unreasonable in this case.

config.guess, config.sub, missing, mkinstalldirs, and install-sh are only copied from /usr/share/automake-<version> as a part of automake. AFAICT, they are not used in GRUB. I'm pretty sure they are the same on all architectures, but I could be wrong about that.

  -- Bruce