grub-devel

Re: Easy grub2 installation for non Linux (Windows) systems?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Easy grub2 installation for non Linux (Windows) systems?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 22:58:27 +0100

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:08:10PM +1100, Nando wrote:
> Hi Grub2 Development team,
>
> I've worked with a colleague to successfully implement ICHxM SMBUS PLL
> overclocking using grub2 as described here:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5569693
>
> This is great as it means an overclocked CPU state from the bootloader,
> providing a somewhat universal solution regardless of operating system being
> used. The module developed 'setfsb.mod' I presume must exist on a Linux
> partition.
>
> For non Linux users, it is possible to load the grub2 package and modules on
> an ntfs filesystem? If so, is there some easy to follow instructions on how
> to go about doing that?

Hi,

Note that if you combine GRUB with GPLv2-only code, the resulting binaries
aren't legally distributable.  If the copyright holders of this GPLv2 code
did this on purpose to prevent GPLv3 programs from using it, there isn't much
that can be done.

However, chances are they just didn't consider this situation, and it's
probably no problem to them to have these files relicensed to GPLv2-or-later.

--
Robert Millan