grub-devel

Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: Build failures on Ubuntu due to gettext
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 23:38:04 +0000

Hi,

On Dec/07/2009, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> So I would apply your patch, after understanding that it's only for

one more thing Colin. What do you think to not apply your patch and
apply the attached patch?

It force that the argument 1 of _ and N_ is a c-format (in this way
appears in grub.pot). This is, IMO, correct approach. And then msgfmt -c
checks the number of arguments.

If other projects are not using this approach they could have some
reason, like _("File") is a menu label and not a C format string. In
this cases, if this happens in Grub it's not making things worse.

Using it we should have all checks about the number of arguments and we
are not programming warning oriented.

If it's a linguism and wide accepted to do in the other way I personally
don't have any strong objection.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info