grub-devel

Re: autogen.sh warnings

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: Re: autogen.sh warnings
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:51:05 -0600

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

Thanks. I'll let someone more familiar with automake to review automake
parts. Just a comment to import_gcry

These are generated by util/import_gcry.py by copying (and in some
cases modifying) the files in lib/libgcrypt to lib/libgcrypt-grub. It
also creates cipher.h, memory.h, and types.h.

The warnings above appear to be spurious for autogen.sh

crypto and experimental branches have newer import_gcry.py which has
less warning by skipping copying files unnecessary for grub2. If you
want to fix remaining warnings (on rsa, dsa, elgamal, primegen and ecc)
implement assymetric cryptography support (it's planned but may need
changes to core to be useful, there are lower hanging fruits for crypto).

I'm not following you completely. I am trying to clean up the build environment, but not getting into the actual code. I think the crypto was just recently merged into trunk, but I'm not knowledgeable about the details yet to make any substantive changes.

I added code to util/import_gcry.py  supress the warnings if a third
parameter is passed.  I then changed autogen.sh to use:

python util/import_gcry.py lib/libgcrypt/ . NoWarn

This NoWarn is just suppressing legitimate warnings

Is a warning that you can't create a subdirectory because it already exists a legitimate warning? The warning about files being copied not being modules seemed to be overkill. Perhaps it could be left in and the WARNING changed to INFO.

In a release, the lib/libgcrypt-grub/ directory should be released and
the lib/libgcrypt/ should probably be suppressed to avoid dependence
on ruby for non-developers.

import_gcry.py is python, not ruby.

Yes, I mistyped that.

Generally ./autogen.sh is ran before releasing tarball

Yes, but it's also run by someone new (like me) who may want to contribute. The cleaner the better.

  -- Bruce