grub-devel

Re: grub.info

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub.info
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:37:40 +0100

> I took a look at grub.texi.  Although I haven't written any texi files
> before, I was able to figure out the format and run makeinfo without
> any errors.  That means that I only have to worry about small things
> like content.  :)
>
> I have examined the hierarchy of the manual and it currently has the
> structure below.  I also did some research and propose a different
> layout, also shown below.
Looks good but few comments follow.

> I freely admit that I don't yet have a good handle on many of the
> areas that need documentation and that I'll need to ask many questions.=

I'll gladly answer you. We can use IRC for faster information exchange.

> * Booting
>   * General boot methods
>     * Chain Loading
>   * OS-specific notes
>     * SCO UnixWare   <-- Do we really need this
You can remove it alright if someone still needs it he's free to document=
 it
>     * DOS/Windows
>
> * Commuication with GRUB
>   * File access
>   * PS/2 Devices
>   * USB I/O Devices
>   * Serial I/O Devices
>
> * GRUB Modules
>    <Document Each Module>

It looks like a big overlap with other chapters (nearly everything is a
module). I don't see a need of this section.
> * User Interface
> [...]
I think the better name would be something like "OS loaders". Perhaps
merge with "Boot methods"
>     * chainloader
>     * freebsd_loadenv
>     * freebsd_module
>     * freebsd_module_elf
>     * initrd
>     * initrd16
>     * linux
>     * linux16
>     * multiboot
>     * netbsd
>     * openbsd
It's better to order them by OS rather than alphabetically. E.g. "Linux
booting" would document both linux and initrd and mention legacy
linux16/initrd16 booting method.

>   * Computer Control Commands
>     * acpi
>     * badram
>     * boot
>     * cpuid
>     * halt
>     * hdparm
>     * lspci
>     * parttool
>     * probe
>     * pxe
>     * reboot
>     * serial
>     * usb
>     * vbetest
>     * videotest
>
>   * EFI Commands
>     * efiemu_loadcore
>     * efiemu_pnvram
>     * efiemu_prepare
>     * efiemu_unload
This aren't EFI commands but commands to manipulate efiemu

>   * Xnu_devdree
"Mac OS X/Darwin booting" would be a better name. This should be a
subsection of booting methods.
>     * xnu_kernel
>     * xnu_kext
>     * xnu_kextdir
>     * xnu_mkext
>     * xnu_ramdisk
>     * xnu_resume
>     * xnu_splash
>     * xnu_uuid

> * Troubleshooting
>
> * Obtaining and Building GRUB
>
> * Reporting bugs
>
> * Other
>   * testload
Removed in GRUB2
>   * find
Replaced by 'search'
>   * terminal
REplaced by terminal_input/terminal_output
>   * uppermem
Removed in GRUB2. Replaced by badram