grub-devel

grub.info

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: grub.info
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:29:45 -0600

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

Could you help us with documenting grub better? Patches against texinfo
manual are welcome

I may be able to do that, however, I need to learn it myself.

I took a look at grub.texi. Although I haven't written any texi files before, I was able to figure out the format and run makeinfo without any errors. That means that I only have to worry about small things like content. :)

I have examined the hierarchy of the manual and it currently has the structure below. I also did some research and propose a different layout, also shown below.

What I propose to do is to update the text file to the new layout, filling in what I can and adding placeholders for other areas. Then, I will ask for contributions to fill in the holes. I'll gladly do the formatting if I can get the content.

I freely admit that I don't yet have a good handle on many of the areas that need documentation and that I'll need to ask many questions.

If this is acceptable, please provide feedback to my proposed layout.
I have no problem with adding, deleting, renaming, or moving any of the sections.

  -- Bruce

-----------------

Current Layout:

* Introduction::
  * Overview::
  * History::
  * Features::
  * Role of a boot loader::

* Naming convention::
* Installation::
  * Installing GRUB using grub-install::
  * Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM::

* Booting::
  * General boot methods::
    * chain-loading::
  * OS-specific notes::

* Configuration::
* Network::
* Serial terminal::
* Preset Menu::
* Images::
* Filesystem::
  * Device syntax::
  * File name syntax::
  * Block list syntax::

* Interface::
  * Command-line interface::
  * Menu interface::
  * Menu entry editor::

* Commands::
  * Menu-specific commands::
    * menuentry

  * General commands::
    * serial::
    * terminfo::

  * Command-line and menu entry commands::
    * acpi::
    * blocklist::
    * boot::
    * cat::
    * chainloader::
    * cmp::
    * configfile::
    * crc::
    * date::
    * echo::
    * export::
    * halt::
    * help::
    * insmod::
    * keystatus::
    * ls::
    * reboot::
    * set::
    * unset::

* Troubleshooting::

* Invoking the grub shell::
* Invoking grub-install::
* Invoking grub-terminfo    <-- Does not appear to exist outside of cmdline
* Obtaining and Building GRUB::
* Reporting bugs::
* Future::
* Internals::
* Copying This Manual::
  * GNU Free Documentation License

--------------

Proposed layout:

GNU GRUB manual

* Introduction
  * Overview
  * History
  * Features
  * Role of a boot loader

* Syntax
  * grub.cfg syntax

  * Naming conventions
    * Device syntax
    * File name syntax
    * Block list syntax

* Installation
  * Installing GRUB using grub-install
  * Installing GRUB manually
  * Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM
  * Installing GRUB for network booting

* Booting
  * General boot methods
    * Chain Loading
  * OS-specific notes
    * SCO UnixWare   <-- Do we really need this
    * DOS/Windows

* Commuication with GRUB
  * File access
  * PS/2 Devices