grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Qianqian Fang
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:24:04 -0500

Michal Suchanek wrote:
Aestetics is relative but uniform stroke width is not.

Yes, I suspected it would not be a common character, my character
table does not list a meaning for it.

However, similar issue can be seen with the 刀 character in the
microhei_24px and microhei_32px rasterization. In fact, the stroke
width is almost inverted in these two rasterizations although they are
supposedly the same font.

I agree with you that the CJK autohinter is far from perfect.
It does a much worse job in smaller sizes.

Actually, you can find the unit that does the cjk autohinting, see

http://opensource.apple.com/source/X11proto/X11proto-15.5/freetype/freetype-2.3.9/src/autofit/afcjk.c
(this is a older version though, but just give you an idea)

if anyone want to improve the algorithm in this unit, that
will be really useful.

Thanks

Michal