grub-devel

Re: var=foo should be valid?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: var=foo should be valid?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:39:50 +0000

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 06:45:03PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> On Nov/29/2009, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > Right now in Grub2 a user could do:
> > name=john
> > set name=john
> >
> > both are valid.
> >
> > (first one has a bug but very easy to fix, even thought I would maybe
> > refactor this code to implement in other way)
> >
> > Question that arised in IRC: should be support the first one or not? Two
> > interfaces for the same thing?
>
> my opinion: doesn't matter (a lot)
>
> And because "doesn't matter": we can only accept "set name=john".

I would appreciate it if we left it as it is now. It is not
intrinsically bad to have both, and GRUB 2 is already deployed in
production so it's quite likely that people will in fact be using both
syntaxes. (Indeed, the configuration file I'm delivering by default in
Ubuntu 9.10 uses both syntaxes! I should probably normalise that but I
simply hadn't thought about it as being any kind of problem.) We should
not break production installations when there is no reason to do so.

(I don't know what the bug you're referring to is; both 'foo=bar' and
'set foo=bar' seem to work OK here. I may be missing some subtle
problem, but if I'm missing it then users will too.)

> **: someone could think that if we accept without and with set it's
> exporting like export name=foo in Bash

If they're familiar with bash then they'll assume that both forms are
the same.