grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Qianqian Fang
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:14:27 -0500

Michal Suchanek wrote:
It's good enough to read the character but if I designed a theme with
this character in some large caption I would immediately start looking
for a font that has a decent glyph for this character. It's far from
nice to look at.

I was talking about "rasterization quality", do you mean
the aesthetics of the glyph topology/structure?

However, I am pretty sure you don't need to worry about
"灱" because it is an extremely rarely used character and
was only used in ancient literatures. As a matter of fact,
in the over 20,000 Han char. included in the fonts I mentioned,
the top 3,000~4,000 covers 99.6% of the use in modern Chinese [1].

[1] http://www.jiyili.net/thread-27521-1-1.html (based on a national survey in 1980s)

Thanks

Michal