grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:43:30 +0100

Colin D Bennett wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:35:55 +0100
> Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 04:27:13PM +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect what you are asking is impossible.
>>>
>>> As far as I understand unifont is a single bitmap font in a single
>>> pixel size and the tarball you sent contains multiple font faces in
>>> multiple sizes.
>>>
>> Any idea how were those fonts built, then?
>>

> I just took a bunch of fonts from my Gentoo Linux system and converted
> them.  It is just a quick demonstration of how many types, sizes, and
> styles of fonts can be used (e.g., small to huge; sans-serif,
> monospaced, and serif; italic and normal; etc.).

I identified number of fonts as one of the reason of gfxmenu needing
important amount of time to load. I prefer to have few nice looking free
fonts with reasonable unicode coverage (we'll need it because of
gettext) and load only ones really needed

>> Why would I want to convert those fonts?  My goal is figuring out how
>> to provide suitable font files out of the usual selection of free
>> fonts that is provided by distributors.  So far I only know of
>> unifont in this selection, but there's certainly more.  Can you help?
>>

> I think that true bitmap fonts will look much, much better than
> converted outline fonts, but perhaps if we added an 8-bit alpha channel
> to the font format and grub-mkfont could do anti-aliasing during the
> conversion process; then I think we could make use of all the free
> outline fonts
I'm ok wth doing any kind of preprocessing in grub-mkfont but grub2 has
to remain simple in order to ensure reasonable performance even on slow
system (curren't it's not the case and more work is needed for
optimising it)