grub-devel

Re: gettextizing

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: gettextizing
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:28:51 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:56:15PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > +  grub_printf (_("\
> >   [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB\n\
>     ^
> >     lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible\n\
>                                                                         ^^
> > -   device/file completions.%s ]\n\n",
> > +   device/file completions.%s ]\n\n"),
>                               ^^
>
> Eliminating the newlines is not trivial, but it fixes another problem: this
> string doesn't render well on non-80x25 terminals.

Right, this string is of the PAIN kind.

> > -  grub_printf ("  Booting a command list\n\n");
> > +  grub_printf (_("  Booting a command list\n\n"));
> > [...]
> > -  grub_printf ("\nPress any key to continue...");
> > +  grub_printf (_("\nPress any key to continue..."));
>
> I'm not sure if the spaces and newlines here would be a problem.  Jordi,
> any comment?

Not a big issue in this case. However, it makes it difficult to reuse these
strings, ie we can end up having 3 different strings:
 - \nPress any key to continue...
 - Press any key to continue...
 - Press any key to continue...\n

which makes it easy to make different translations for the same string if the
translator isn't careful.

--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/