grub-devel

Re: merging of gettext branch

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: merging of gettext branch
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:14:10 +0000

Hello,

On Nov/21/2009, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:27:12PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My gettext branch:
> > bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/grub/people/cpina/gettext/
> >
> > Is currently synchronized with Robert's changes and working.
>
> Great.  Could you please attach it as a patch?  This makes it easier
> to review.

find attached

> > (mmm... locale_dir could be hard coded)
>
> Better let the user specify it.  $prefix points to the module load dir
> and may not always be what user expects (this happens e.g. with
> grub-mkrescue).

yes, I realised of this case ($prefix in grub-mkrescue). Actually before
I was using $prefix/locale and I've changed it.

> > Once merged I will gettize more string
> > in the loader and other utilities.
>
> Gettext support for utilities can be done already;  you're welcome to add it
> to more of the stuff in util/, see:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-11/msg00273.html

I will do soon, I just want to finish ASAP the other part and feel
relieved :-)

> For strings in GRUB itself, we need to be more selective.  There are a
> few strings which we obviously want to translate, and some for which
> it isn't so clear.  We can talk about this after the merge.

When it's merged I will gettize the common sense ones (menu ones) and we
will think about the other ones.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info