grub-devel

Re: gfxmenu available in experimental

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: gfxmenu available in experimental
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:17:01 -0800

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:43:57 +0100
Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:17:51PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
> > Example menu is available at
> > http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz
>
> Colin, we would need to know more details about the theme support
> files.
>
> Are all the theme files in that tarball written by you?  Which images
> did you make yourself?  I'm specially interested in the terminal-box
> ones.

It would be easier perhaps if I list the elements that I did not create:

- The 'winter' background.
- The Ubuntu theme logo image/text.

Everything else I created using the GIMP and Inkscape, primarily.  The
terminal-box images for the 'winter' theme were created in Inkscape (I
think the theme source tarball includes the SVG source file, which is
exported to PNG files in slices by a shell script).  In Inkscape I
defined the slices so that the shell script can export them by name.

> Also, of the files that you made yourself, I'm considering that we
> could use them in order to make a default GRUB theme.  Were they
> intended to be merged in GRUB?  (i.e. can we assume that they are
> covered under your contributor agreement?)

The themes are not polished, and were really intended to drive the
back end of the menu system, for instance, to support circular
progress bars so that the Ubuntu theme could be created.

I certainly intend them to be included under my contributor agreement,
although obviously there are some elements such as the 'winter'
background that I did not create so these would be excluded.

Perhaps we can create some new themes that adapt to various screen
sizes, and if anyone wants to use elements of my theme work, they are
free to do so.

Regards,
Colin