grub-devel

Re: gfxmenu available in experimental

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: gfxmenu available in experimental
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:26:41 +0100

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:17:51PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Hello, all. After various delays with various cause I'm proud to
> announce the availability of Colin's gfxmenu into experimental branch of
> grub2.

Very nice!  Thanks Vladimir for reviewing this; and Colin, thank you very much
for your contribution to GRUB.

> Example menu is available at
> http://grub.gibibit.com/files/overlay_2009-07-19.tar.gz . It's not yet
> decided whether central repository for themes will be created.

There could be an official GRUB theme, which would go in our Bazaar repository,
and maybe also a separate  Debian theme (Felix and I need to discuss about
what we like best).  And I guess other distros will want to have their own
branding.

Other than that, it'd be good to have some central facility that could be
used by theme authors.  I'm not sure what kind of resource would be good,
but our Bazaar is NOT the right place.

Perhaps someone who's got more experience with artwork communities could
provide some advice?

Then again, perhaps we don't have to drive this ourselves, and if we do nothing
theme communities for GRUB will eventually take shape elsewhere.

> 3) Forbid your kids to do it. New generation of Free Software devs is
> welcome

Heh.  I guess I need to write some first ;-)

--
Robert Millan