grub-devel

Re: grub-mkrescue and hard links

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: grub-mkrescue and hard links
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:54:36 +0000

Hi,

On Nov/20/2009, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:22:57PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > grub-mkrescue is trying to execute cp -dpRl (l for link). If the origin
> > and destination directories are in different file systems this fails.
>
> One of the purposes of grub-mkrescue is to generate images that are
> bootable using GRUB.  These images might be complete CDs or DVDs,
> making a complete copy very undesireable.

I see...

> I think I'd rather remove the copiing stage altogether and operate on
> the original directory (this is not so strange, e.g. -boot-info-table
> in mkisofs also modifies original data and is widely used).

I'm not convinced about it, but I'm not familiar in these utilities
either.

Find attached a second patch that lets the user to specify where the
utilities are.

With this _and_ some manual things with the modules I've generated and
ISO image that boots using qemu.

Which approach do you have in mind for the modules? Which modules should
be copied and where?

(I see some modules inside the core img, I guess that this is what
should be in the core image and then the modules that the user specifies
in the option --modules should be copied into boot/grub/ (or in 386-pc?)
or something by default?)

Yes, I know that could be better done (avoid copying, more options,
etc.) but I'm doing this to do some comfortable tests with qemu and
gettext :-)

If you tell what you wanted to do I can try to do tomorrow and carry on
with other things.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info