grub-devel

Re: gettext in build system

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: gettext in build system
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:32:52 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:56:06PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > And I'm not sure if this is the right place to define _.  Isn't there
> > > a system-wide definition?
> > This, and others, sometimes go in a common .h to avoid duplication. Many
> > grub utilities are going to add this kind of stuff.
> I wonder where would we put this.  Is there any convention?

I'm not aware of any convention, not even for GNU packages. nls.h, i18n.h,
grub-i18n.h. You name it. :)

> > I haven't tested this patch yet, but I'm not sure if a bindtextdomain()
> > call is needed here too.
> This requires LOCALEDIR.  Should we add po.m4 in order to get this, or
> just define it ourselves?

*shrug*, I think just assuming the usual $(datadir)/locale is ok. po.m4
does provide checks for the gettext tools iirc, though, so that might
be useful in its own right.

> > The rest looks good, given there's no automake.
> We have aclocal now (in my branch).  Is gettext.m4 usable to us?

I think so, if platforms which don't use GNU gettext, or have an incompatible
gettext implementation are supported. It provides checks for gettext(),
ngettext(), setlocale() and friends, so yep, probably.

--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/