grub-devel

Re: [Etherboot-developers] gPXE and GRUB2

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Etherboot-developers] gPXE and GRUB2
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:46:54 +0100

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Thomas Miletich wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If he followed the instructions in http://grub.enbug.org/PXEBOOT it is
> > to be expected that GRUB only starts in rescue mode, because that's what
> > the selection of modules in that page provides.
> >
> > I don't think there's anything wrong in either gPXE or GRUB; perhaps the
> > wiki page :-)

> PXE rom. GRUB tries to fetch the file normal.mod over tftp, which gPXE
> does. It fails to load normal.mod and goes to rescue mode then. It
> doesn't fall back to rescue mode with a vendor PXE.
> There are more details in the follow-up mails to
> http://etherboot.org/pipermail/gpxe/2009-November/000008.html

Ah, I see.  Well, as I said in previous mail, our support for using PXE
callbacks is a temporary hack.  Our long-term goal is to replace it
completely with standalone free drivers.

So in this case, we'd use gPXE all the same but with a more efficient (and
less error-prone) interface :-)

That said, we're still going to carry with legacy support for a while, so
if someone wants to debug this and figure out what's wrong, that'd be most
welcome.

--
Robert Millan