grub-devel

Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: Re: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:22:23 +0100

Felix Zielcke schrieb:

> On launchpad someone made a bugreport where removing the search and
> drivemap commands from the generated Win 7 menu entry by os-prober
> breaks booting it.
> So I removed drivemap command for Vista and 7.
> It wouldn't make much sense if the search line would break it.

Well, without the drivemap command, it doesn't boot up at all...

> Did you try without drivemap?

Yup. TrueCrypt immediately complains:

 TrueCrypt Boot Loader
Loader Damaged! Use Rescue Disk: [blabla]

> You could also try to directly chainload MBR with (hd1)

Well, that's the same as "chainloader (hd0,1)/boot/truecrypt.mbr", isn't
it? I tried it and they yielded the same result.

> Note that there's a difference if you use set root=(hd1,1) chainloader
> +1 or just chainloader (hd1,1)+1

The "chainloader (hd1,1)+1" which was what I originally tried does not
work at all since (hd1,1) is encrypted at that point and thus grub does
not know recognize the file format and won't boot - forcing the
chainload with "--force" causes the system to lock up at boot.

> So you could also play around a bit with them.
> The root device gets into %dl register and so the bootcode can make use
> of that one.
> If you specify the device inside chainloader command only GRUB itself
> knows that one.

Note that when I change the boot order in the BIOS to make the Windows
Disk the boot disk, the Windows boots up just fine. Is there any way
which is more "convincing" than drivemap?

Kind regards,
Johannes