grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:34:27 +0800

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 02:12:38AM +0800, Bean wrote:
>>
>> But no worry, I've created a fork project BURG that contains some
>> brand-new features, the LUA engine will be added back soon.
>
> Does that make it any easier than maintaining LUA in grub-extras?
>
> When moving it there, I made it clear [1] that anyone who wishes to work
> on LUA is welcome to use the grub-extras repository for that purpose [1].
>
> I expected a reply from you, but there was none.
>
> [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-09/msg00424.html

Hi,

As I see it, one problem of grub-extra is that it can't be compiled
separately, so user have to setup an environment to build it, which is
not straightforward. And as they have two revision system, this make
it difficult to track previous bug. For example, it's hard to tell
which revision of grub-extra can compile with which main stream
revision. And it's also the question of confidence, I don't see anyone
claim responsibility for grub-extra, it' more like a garbage dump to
me. It's hard to convince others to send patches on something that's
not actively maintained.

--
Bean

My repository: https://launchpad.net/burg