grub-devel

Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: Booting TrueCrypt Windows Hard Drive
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:28:53 +0100

Dear list,

I've read a whole lot about problems booting Windows through Grub - but
found no solution at all. By playing around with the options, I found a
solution which *almost* works:

My main (Linux) drive is /dev/sda. / and /boot are on /sda1, i.e. (hd0,1).
My crap (Windows) drive is /dev/sdb. There is only one partition
/dev/sdb1. The whole drive has been encrypted with TrueCrypt.

I've copied the MBR of /dev/sdb to /boot/truecrypt.mbr. Then I used the
following grub entry:

menuentry "Sigh" {
        insmod drivemap
        set root=(hd1,1)
        drivemap (hd0) (hd1)
        drivemap (hd1) (hd0)
        chainloader (hd0,1)/boot/truecrypt.mbr
        boot
}

This gets further than all other tutorials I've read before - it makes
Truecrypt actually ask for my password. After I've entered it
successfully, the Windows logo comes up and it appears to be booting.
However, after about 20 seocnds, it just resets hard. The next time I
boot Windows (7, BTW) that way, I get a message saying that it crashed
during bootup and if I want to use some kind of boot rescue restore
magic. When I say yes, a textmode progressbar comes up. When it reaches
100%, the computer again resets hard.

I have a feeling that I'm almost there but am missing something - can
somebody please help me?

Kind regards,
Johannes