grub-devel

Re: Feature request: network devices

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: Feature request: network devices
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:08:27 -0800 (PST)

Quoting Bean, who wrote the following on Wed, 11 Nov 2009:

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Seth Goldberg <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

 Enhancing the TFTP & PXE boot capabilities of GRUB2 is extremely important
to our use of GRUB2, so if you're interested in doing this work, please let
me know so we can coordinate our efforts.

Hi,

Isn't TFTP and PXE boot support in GRUB2 ready ?

Very basic support is. We (Sun) added a number of other things to Legacy GRUB (i.e. the ability to select a configuration file based on information in the DHCP ACK without requiring the downloading of a base grub configuration file -- for the simplicity and consistency of our user base, that's what I need from GRUB2. Requiring the users to have a grub.cfg with a bunch of if statements is a non-starter, so I'm "backporting" the grub configuration file specialization logic to GRUB2.). We also pass the entire DHCP ACK via a non-compliant method in the multiboot structure -- Vladimir suggested he'd be cool with extended the multiboot spec to allow that explicitly. It prevents the kernel from having to restart DHCP (and for it to know from which interface it was booted). I need to check again, but i don't know if GRUB's TFTP functionality supports different TFTP block sizes (which is important for us, because the boot archive we load can be quite large and can overflow the TFTP packet counter -- I'm not sure if GRUB2 deals with wraparound of that counter either). So, to sum up, there are a number of things we need that don't exist right now. And, as was mentioned, there's EFI support, which is also essential. PXE under EFI exists appears to be as widespread as PXE on BIOS (modulo Apple hardware, as usual).

 --S