grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 partition numbers are 1-based now?

From: Darron Black
Subject: Re: GRUB2 partition numbers are 1-based now?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:11:53 -0600

Darron Black wrote:
I'd like to make sure I'm not going crazy.

From the Ubuntu 9.10 installs I've done recently, I've noticed /dev/sda1 -> (hd0,1), /dev/sda2 -> (hd0,2), etc, etc.

At first I thought it was a bug with the grub.cfg generation... since I was only getting the grub> prompt on boot and typing in the same line with (hd0,N-1) worked. (I guess because the UUID overrode it?) I investigated and noticed that the function that built the device name (on the wrong OS at the moment, so can't look it up) definitely did a + 1.

I've quickly searched the archive (probably somewhat clumsily) and I didn't turn up anything definitive.

So... (hd0,N) partitions are officially 1-based now, right? That's super confusing. Could a note be added to the autogenerated grub.cfg? :)

Darron

Nevermind.

I just did a fresh google search and turned up the archlinux wiki, which clearly shows partitions starting at 1 now.

I'm not sure why I couldn't find anything earlier. It being 2am when I had the problem might have had something to do with it.

However, a quick mention in the grub.cfg would be nice.  :)

Darron