grub-devel

Re: hdparm documentation

From: Christian Franke
Subject: Re: hdparm documentation
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 18:09:33 +0100

Pedro A ARANDA wrote:
I'm trying to make the hdparm module run on my HP Mini 110. I have had no luck, neither in doing so or finding documentation which could help me doing so. If I get the right pointer and I make it run on my box, I'd be willing to post a HOWTO, to
make things easier to other people.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 2009.10 with grub2.

When I
set debug=ata
insmod ata

I actually get my drive listed as (ata0,0) but when I then
try

insmod hdparm
hdparm -B 255 (ata0,0)

grub keeps telling me that the drive (hd0) is not known...

After 'insmod ata', loading of further modules typically fails because the drive in the 'prefix' variable is no longer valid.

The following works for me:

# Load needed modules first
insmod hdparm

# Switch to ATA driver and load ATA pass-through support
# (this invalidates prefix)
insmod ata_pthru

# Turn APM off
hdparm -B 255 (ata0)