grub-devel

Possibility of a softfsb PLL overclocking grub2 module??

From: Nando
Subject: Possibility of a softfsb PLL overclocking grub2 module??
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 12:46:29 +1100

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a PLL overclocking module to
grub2? If this is a  "questionable topic" not suited to this forum,
perhaps interested parties can perhaps chime in on the "SoftFSB OCing
4 Linux (Dev)" thread:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=430230 or volunteer
their time??

Windows has setfsb/softfsb/cpufsb tools but overclocking the PLL at
the bootloader level would mean faster operation for other operating
systems: Linux/Leopard/DOS, amongst others. My understanding is such a
module would require incorporating code from the existing Linux code
for lfsb-0.4-1, i2c-dev/i2c-i801 driver as switch on the ICHx SMBUS
interface if the bios has disabled it.

I've encompassed the steps involved to do this as steps (1) and (2)
here:  http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5479271 . Same
link has an example of the PLL configuration registers for the
ics9lprs355 PLL as obtained from the setfsb (Windows) Diagnosis
Window. It shows how easy it would be to add any of setfsb's PLLs to
be supported by such a tool/module.

grub2 is such a great tool to do various pci-e fixups and changes
where bios facilities to do so don't exist making it perfect for such
an application. Not sure however how much of 'Linux' kernel code would
be needed to accomplish this.

Nando