grub-devel

live CDs

From: Andrew Clausen
Subject: live CDs
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:48:47 -0500

Hi all,

I wrote a script (attached) to put in /etc/grub.d for automatically
adding live CD iso images from /boot/iso to /boot/grub/grub.cfg

A typical entry looks like this:

menuentry "Live CD ubuntu-9.10-beta-dvd-i386.iso" {
        loopback loop (hd0,1)/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-beta-dvd-i386.iso
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz  boot=casper
iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-beta-dvd-i386.iso
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

I have a couple of questions:

 * the script uses convert_system_path_to_grub_path() to construct the
loopback path.  This function is deprecated... is there a better way
to do this?

 * how should this be distributed?  Is this something that should be
distributed with grub, or added down-stream by distribution
maintainers?  My feeling is that it should be distributed by grub
directly, to foster compatibility between live CDs.  That is, it
should be possible to test out a SUSE live CD when running Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Andrew