grub-devel

gettext branch

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: gettext branch
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:43:33 +0000

Hello,

After some time of non-activity I'm back, and I think that during the
next weeks with enough time to finish the gettext topic.

The branch is here:

bzr.savannah.gnu.org/grub/people/cpina/gettext2
(notice the 2 at the end!)

We have talked about the gettext two times, last time was last June:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-06/msg00256.html

Or the full discussion (search for gettext support)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-06/threads.html

I've integrated the last patch in trunk:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-06/msg00279.html

General approach: gettext implementation in a gettext module inside
Grub. A simple function (_) that returns the same string, unless gettext
module is loaded where then this function is replaced by another one
that opens the .mo file following some variables and then gets the text
from the .mo file. Right now it's getting the .mo file from
/usr/share/locale/LANGUAGE/LC_MESSAGE

There is some other part where I implemented gettext support in the Bash
scrips that Grub is using (grub-mkconfig_lib.in and get_locale_lang)

Ask for help (like last time :-) ):
Work to be done and where I asked help and I think that phcoder wanted
to help but he had holidays and after that I had some extra-busy
season):

a) make should compile the po/*.po to po/*.mo using something like:

for pofile in *.po
do
        msgfmt "$pofile" -o $(basename "$pofile" .po).mo
done
(the equivalent in Make)

b) make install should install the .mo files to
/usr/share/locale/$LANGUAGE/LC_MESSAGE, something like:

for mofile in *.mo
do
        LANGUAGE=$(basename $i .mo)
        echo cp $LANGUAGE /usr/share/locale/$LANGUAGE/LC_MESSAGE
done

If someone give me a hand with this I will integrate in
people/cpina/gettext2 . I don't know if this should go to experimental
or trunk.

When all integration will be done (above things, other things that will
appear) I will add the "_" function to more strings and also me and some
friends of a Catalan LUG (Catux) will translate the .po to Catalan.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info