grub-devel

Re: GPT BIOS boot partition and installing to a partition

From: Dave Vasilevsky
Subject: Re: GPT BIOS boot partition and installing to a partition
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:50:21 -0400

phcoder wrote:
> On EFI system try grub-efi.

I have indeed tried grub-efi, you can see the notes I left here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/EFI-Boot-Mactel#MacBook4,1
. Unfortunately inability to use both accelerated X and the console
makes me prefer grub-pc for the moment. I appreciate all the work
you've put into grub-efi though, it's great to see it improving.

> the best way is to use first sector of BPB for
> this. But the usability is limited.

I'm not sure I'm understanding, isn't the BPB just a few dozen bytes
in the boot sector? Some filesystems have a bit more room, but usually
not very much. The advantage of using the BIOS Boot Partition is that
you can embed the entire core.img, no?

> for BIOS boot you still need a specially adapted MBR for it anyway

Agreed that this is sub-optimal, but on my system it's the lesser of
evils for now.

Cheers,
Dave