grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 and DMRAID

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: GRUB2 and DMRAID
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:32:04 +0100

Am Samstag, den 31.10.2009, 16:11 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis Dupond:
> Is there already a possibility to get DMRAID working with GRUB2?
> Even when the /boot device is on a DMRAID partition.
>
> Seems like we have already a dmraid_nvidia module, but that doesn't work?

That module is only useful with ata.mod, which isn't the default.
With default biosdisk.mod the BIOS handles the RAID for us.
All the GRUB modules have nothing to do with handling the OS specific
things like device names.

> It would be very nice to get grub2 & dmraid working nicely together.
> As we are now stuck to grub1 for that.

On Debian BTS and Launchpad there's a bug about this. And maybe even
Savannah.

The main problem is that our way to map Linux devices to GRUB devices
doestn't work with multipath and dmraid devices.

There's a first patch I made for nvidia_ pdc_ and some isw_ devices, but
that's the wrong approach.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer