grub-devel

Re: success booting hdt.c32 module with memdisk

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: success booting hdt.c32 module with memdisk
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:54:28 +0100

J. Bakshi wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:41:17 +0100
> Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Hello
>> J. Bakshi wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> Finally I got success booting hdt.c32 module ( hdt = hardware
>>> detection tool) with the latest floppy image released by hdt team.
>>> hdt.c32 is a syslinux module. As per their suggestion the following
>>> config works for me from usb stick.
>>>
>>> menuentry HDT {
>>> linux16 /memdisk
>>> initrd16 /<hdt_floppy_image>
>>> }
>>>
>>> Though it would be nice to see grub's power to directly load
>>> syslinux module like this one :-)
>>>

>> I would be happy to have syslinux com32 glue level. Are you willing to
>> code one?
>>

> I would Love to do so but as a Linux sysadmin my programming knowledge is
> restricted in shell-script :-(
> If you permit me and show me the direction then I can ask the required info
> at hdt group.

Basically you just need to get coding
1) Verify that the module is under compatible license
2) Put it into grub2 directory and add to rmk file
3) Fix all compile errors
Binary compatibility is more difficult to get binary compatibility but
is probably useless too as anyway you can't have non GPLv3+-compatible
modules so source compatibility is enough. Additionally having them as
source in grub-extras potentially makes it useful on non-pc as well

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko