grub-devel

Re: [patch] grub incorrectly identifies ext3 as fat

From: Andrew Clausen
Subject: Re: [patch] grub incorrectly identifies ext3 as fat
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:19:31 -0400

Hi Robert,

2009/10/30 Robert Millan <address@hidden>:
>> I wrote a patch.  In order for a file system to be considered
>> detected, dir() must not only succeed, it also must find at least one
>> file or directory. This is pretty effective at ruling out misdetecting
>> a filesystem based on a stale signature that wasn't wiped by mkfs.
>
> We already had code for this, see:
>
> 2009-09-05  Robert Millan  <address@hidden>
>
>        * util/grub-probe.c (probe): Comment out buggy codepath, which
>        was unexpectedly enabled by Colin Watson's 2009-09-02 fix.  This
>        should be re-enabled after 1.97.

Yes, that's a similar idea.

>> This shouldn't have any collateral damage, because empty file systems
>> are useless to Grub.
>
> Unlike the filesystem driver, grub-probe already knows we want to probe for
> a file.  Then this assumption won't be necessary.

What about probing in the boot-loader?  My system was still unbootable
when I manually told grub to include the ext2 driver core.img, since
the fat driver was erroneously included as well, and it couldn't read
the root file system.  (You can manually do "rmmod fat", but this is
nasty!  Recall that I grub couldn't load the extra modules for the
menus, etc. at this point)

Cheers,
Andrew