grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Bean
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:52:34 +0800

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> BTW, the save_env method doesn't works menu items generated
>> dynamically. For example, the menu items added by osdetect.lua or sub
>> menu items by menu_create.
>>

> Then it's a bug that should be fixed and not swept under the carpet

Hi,

It's not a bug, we can't just add save_env default in every auto
generated item, what if users don't want to auto save ? At best, we
need to add a variable to control its behavior, for example
savedefault=1. But then, we can just check the savedefault variable to
decide whether to save or not, no need to use save_env at all.

Also, with save_env, the command needs to be inserted by
grub-mkconfig, it's not easy to edit the menu file by hand because you
need to insert it in every item. Also, for grub-mkconfig generated
item, it's either all on or all off, you can't save some of the items.

BTW, this actually quite similar to --users. To authorized a user, you
don't need a option, for example, you can add this to every entry that
needs authorization:

if password_check user1,user2; then
 command
fi