grub-devel

Re: os-prober incorrectly generates stanza - wrong root= device.

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: os-prober incorrectly generates stanza - wrong root= device.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:44:54 -0400

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 05:55:29AM EDT, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2009, 23:23 -0400 schrieb Chris Jones:

[..]

> > Not sure this qualifies as a bug, or just incorrect setup my end.
> >

> os-prober is a seperate package. It has nothing to do with us, except
> that we call it to generate menuentries, if it's avaible.  It takes
> the root= value for the Linux kernel out of lilo.conf, menu.lst or
> grub.cfg depending what you have on that partition installed.  So you
> have to change the bootloader configuration of your Debian etch.

Ouch..!

These legacy systems were restored from backups when moving to a larger
hard drive and the grub-legacy configuration files are therefore
obsolete.

Rather than changing these retired configuration files, I will remove
os-prober and add my other systems manually to 40_custom.

Thanks much for prompt response.

CJ