grub-devel

Re: grub-1.97

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: grub-1.97
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:34:06 +0100

2009/10/28 Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden>:
> I am putting grub2 into the Linux From Scratch book and have built/tested it
> and it works quite well for us.  Thank you.
>
> I do have a question.  After building a package, we like to test it for
> those packages that have tests built in.  When I tried `make test`, I got an
> error about missing m2c.  I then went to the Debian repository and built
> m2c.  Now I get the error:
>
> address@hidden:/usr/src/grub/grub-1.97$ make test
> m2c    -o test -e test test.mod
> m2c: unknown flag `-e'
> make: *** [test] Error 1
>
> What version of m2c are you using and where is it available?  Is this a
> valid way to run a regression test for grub-1.97?
>
> I'd also like to make a comment.  It may be useful if you split up the build
> into subdirectories by component.  When I extracted the tarball, there were
> 57 files/directories in the top of the build tree.  After configure it was
> 64.  So far so good.  However, after make it was over 2400 files, many with
> very long file names.  This makes it almost impossible to navigate form the
> command line, even on a very big screen.  If you split it up, you could also
> shorten the filenames.  I would think that would be an advantage to
> encourage programmers to read the code and contribute to the project.

I guess it's meant to be used like this:

tar -jxvf grub-version.tar.bz2
cd grub-version
mkdir build
cd build
../configure --prefix=/some_prefix --options
make
make install

Now you have 2k files in the build directory but the ones that are
useful can be found under /some_prefix

You can find the files installed under /some_prefix in the build
directory so you can use them directly as well.

Many of the object files are replicated numerous times because of the
way grub links its modules. This may be addressed at later time, there
were some patches for simplifying this process.

I have no problems navigating the directory from command line although
the layout does seem a bit odd. Maybe it's related to the fact I have
some 700 files (excluding .files) in ~.

Thanks

Michal