grub-devel

Re: grub2 problems

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub2 problems
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:45:38 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 25.10.2009, 20:27 +0000 schrieb James Courtier-Dutton:
> Hi,
>
> What is the dependancy of the grub boot loader and the grub.cfg file.
> I had a perfectly working grub2 install.
> I changed my grub.cfg file, assuming that grub would automatically use
> the new one, but grub failed to boot showing massed of errors in the
> grub.cfg file it saw.
> This was fixed by re-installing grub2 using grub-install.  (ubuntu karmic)
>
> Is this a grub bug, or is it by design?

Did you choose the right device in the debconf prompt on package
install?
If you didn't then grub-install does not get run on package upgrades.
So it could be that the grub2 active in /boot/grub and MBR + embed area
didn't understand your changes.

It would help to see what those errors were.
sh.mod could have been broken/not loaded but that should only happen if
you did something which you shouldn't do, like using grub-mkimage
yourself.
Or the embed core.img was out of sync with /boot/grub but that should
only happen if you run grub-install on the wrong device or choose the
wrong device in the debconf prompt so the package does it wrong.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer