grub-devel

Re: Feature Request: 32-bit mem write and 'setpci -s' type command in me

From: Nando
Subject: Re: Feature Request: 32-bit mem write and 'setpci -s' type command in menu.lst
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:42:15 +1100

Hi Vlad,

> able to do the equivalent of setpci by calculating the addresses
> needing memory writes.
Except pciconf space

Are you saying that write_dword will not write to pciconf space?

> write_dump ADDRESS FILE
> eg: write_dump 0xF8000000  dump_file

This has already been discussed and conclusion that it's too dangerous
to write to FS from grub2. If it's one time operation you can just boot
FreeDOS for it. IF it's not explain why do you need it on every boot

I've like *read* a dump file into pciexbar memory space to overcome my wifi whitelisting. Currently doing this via a grub2 DOS Image entry explained at http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9388-135.html#53650 . To have such an ability would mean I could just add another menuitem "Ubunto [reverse whitelisting]" and bypass the need for the DOS bootimage. This ability would be further enhanced if a compressed dump file could be used to speed up the process.

So I guess it should be a request for:

- 'read_dump ADDRESS FILE' for mPCIe wifi whitelsting could be done within grub2. .
- a 'setpci' type command  to do pci-e pci-port bridge window fixups, amongst other things.

Nando