grub-devel

filesystem check on software raid partitions

From: Vasily Averin
Subject: filesystem check on software raid partitions
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:19:57 +0400

Dear all,

I've noticed that grub2 tries to detect filesystem on software raid partitions.
IMHO it isn't correct:
- this partition can have correct filesystem header or superblock, and therefore
it can look at the first glance as one having filesystem. However access to
filesystem data is tricky, you will access wrong data block.

For example I've got grub hang on the ext2 filesystem check of the first
partition of software raid0 partition (see datails in "[patch] deadloop in
grub_ext2_iterate_dir" letter).

- even if filesystem check finishes correctly, it will report the same fs-uuid
as filesystem on raid device, and It can confuse search by uuid command.

Therefore I think grub2 should check partition for raid/lvm/swap before start
of filesystem checks.

thank you,
        Vasily Averin