grub-devel

Re: powerpc/sparc problems

From: David Miller
Subject: Re: powerpc/sparc problems
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:14:30 -0700 (PDT)

From: Bean <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:58:42 +0800

> Try my branch, it includes the libgcc functions in grub instead of
> rely on external library. It builds and run properly for
> powerpc-ieee1275 last time I check.

Good luck when the compiler changes the interface and/or semantics of
these routines in a future version.  Will you enumerate your in-tree
copies by gcc version with ifdefs or similar?

That's why gcc and it's libgcc are distributed together, and gcc
configures itself to link with a specific libgcc and only that libgcc.

This whole things perfectly fine in GRUB when I implemented the
necessary machinery to find if these routines exist in libgcc at
configure time and to reference them properly in the build.

They've merely been broken meanwhile and someone just needs to rectify
that regression.