grub-devel

Re: Fw: 16-bit bootloader support?

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: Fw: 16-bit bootloader support?
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:29:21 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Bogdan, who wrote the following on Thu, 8 Oct 2009:

I'm sorry for the top-down mail but Yahoo! Mail is gay. No, I don't mean virtual 8086 mode, I mean the 16-bit protected mode - which is 16-bit and not 32-bit. Protected mode was introduced on the Intel 80286 which was still a 16-bit CPU. Protected mode was later extended for 32-bit allowing of course for backward compatibility. Windows 3.1 is a good example of an OS capable of handling 16-bit pmode.

It's not legacy code I'm talking about.

Do you seriously have an OS you want to boot that starts in 16-bit protected mode? Or is this just an academic question? You're free to add support for such a system, but IMHO, its usefulness is dubious, at best.

 --S