grub-devel

Re: Handling multiple cores by GRUB

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Handling multiple cores by GRUB
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:38:56 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 07.10.2009, 19:22 +0530 schrieb Swapnil Pimpale:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to understand the grub code (GRUB-0.97).

GRUB Legacy is dead for us.
But your questions also apply to GRUB 2 so I answer them.

> I have a specific query regarding SMP systems. How are multiple cores
> handled by grub? Are multiple cores active in the grub initially or
> only one core is active when GRUB takes charge from the BIOS?

Only 1, just as in DOS or similar systems, which mainly rely on BIOS.

> Also, can anyone suggest any tools to live debug the GRUB code?

http://grub.enbug.org/DebuggingWithGDB
But the pages there are outdated and even with them updated I myself
couldn't figure out how to debug code in the modules.
Only the code in the kernel worked.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer