grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:22:27 +0200

2009/10/4 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 2009/10/3 Bean <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Update:
>>>
>>> Add auto scrolling support, view port would be adjusted automatically
>>> to show the current node. In the demo, there are five horizontal
>>> widgets, total length exceed that of the screen, using 'N' and 'P' to
>>> navigating between anchors, and you can see the hidden widget would
>>> scroll into view automatically, ESC to exit the demo.
>>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Do you have an update of the sample configuration for menu test?
>>
>> The old sample reports "class not found".
>
> Hi,
>
> It's at:
>
> http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip
>
> Download it again and replace the files.

Hi

I only tried running the sample, did not look how things are done yet.

The major problem is that the panels are not sorted in any way so the
navigation is very confusing. There should be only a single toplevel
panel which contains all active elements in a layout.

However, when I put everything into a single panel I still get issues:

 - the content is not inside the panel border
 - focus is on an invisible element, not the first element
 - panels are not ordered left to right as specified

There is an issue with setting the border and margins.
 - if I set all margins to the same number the horizontal and vertical
margins are different which is quite ugly
 - the border settings offer many options but I miss the option for
   - setting the text border explicitly to single/double border
without using an image
   - replicating similar effect in graphics (that is setting a few
pixel border with some space on either side - margin should set the
outer space but I am not sure about the inner space)
 - background bitmap does not cover margins. I am not sure if it is
desirable to cover them, though. CSS works that way but I am sure some
systems work differently.

Thanks

Michal