grub-devel

Re: Creating an (Apple) EFI bootable media

From: Peter Cros
Subject: Re: Creating an (Apple) EFI bootable media
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:19:13 +1000

OSX bless works for me with grub.efi in any hfsplus partition using the form
  bless --folder /xyz  --file /xyz/grub/grub.efi
(if the file paths are correct - I use GUI and drag the file icon onto a terminal commandline)

However it is not always necessary to bless. On Apple Mac, the UEFI spec will boot *.efi  without needing to be blessed, and without refit, if it fits the naming convention in the UEFI spec. So a simple bootable package can be built.

http://www.uefi.org/specs/ -
 EFI System Partition Subdirectory Registry
 UEFI Specification Version 2.3
 3.4.1.1 Removable Media Boot Behavior - Table 9. UEFI Image Types

If grub.efi is renamed to bootx64.efi or bootia32.efi and placed in fat32 or hfsplus tree /efi/boot, it will then be shown on the restart with Optiion key.

However to get an automatic default boot, probably requires the bless form with the --setBoot option.

For Apple Mac with 64 bit EFI -
address@hidden:~/test$ tree efi
 efi
 `-- boot