grub-devel

Support for howmany option in grub2

From: jezz
Subject: Support for howmany option in grub2
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:04:51 +0200

Hello,
I am using Debian GNU/Linux as my primary system. As a loader I am using GRUB.
Actually I have upgraded to GRUB2. I don't know, if it was feature of original
(legacy) GRUB or it was functionality provided by debian scripts (update-grub),
for generating menu.lst. There was feature - howmany. This option specifies
number of kernels, that user wants to have in boot menu. Script, that modifies
menu.lst, use this variable. I like this feature, because I have usually more
kernels, but I want to see only last two versions in GRUB menu. I have created
patch, that add support for this to /etc/grub.d/10_linux. I have created this
patch against version shipped with Debian (1.97~beta3-1) - I don't know if
there are some Debian specific modifications. Also there should be variable
GRUB_HOW_MANY propagated from /etc/default/grub (my patch don't do
this).
Kernel and it's rescue variant is counted as one kernel.

I have already reported this bug to Debian BTS:

Regards

--
Jezz
mail:   address@hidden